Mmmmm… you had me at chocolate!
So many people avoid fat because they think it makes you fat when, in actuality, you need fat in your diet. Fat is essential for many internal functions so cutting it out will damage homeostasis. Carbohydrates or protein have equal chances of making you fat it you eat in excess – it’s all about balance. I don’t believe in cutting any one macro-nutrient out, but I do believe that the quality makes a huge difference.
So, chocolate chia fat bombs… I don’t know how accurate that is as I haven’t done nutritional breakdown, but with the nuts, coconut, and chia, it’s full of all sorts of healthy fats!
- 1/2 Cup nut butter (I use almond coconut blend)
- 1 Cup nuts, separated (I used 1/2 Cup walnuts, and 1/2 Cup peanut pieces)
- 1/4 Cup cocoa
- 1/4 Cup coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Cup dates
- 1/4 Cup chia
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 Cup oats, separated
- 1/3 Cup coconut flour
1) Place the dates and 1/2 cup of the nuts in the bowl of a food processor and blend until the dates are in a fine meal.
2) Add the rest of the ingredients – except the 1/2 cup nuts and 1/2 Cup of the oats. Blend well – it should form a ball and roll around the food processor bowl.
3) Transfer the contents into a mixing bowl and stir in the remaining oats and nuts.
4) roll into bite size – or “two bites” size – and store in air tight container in the fridge.
Now, you could stop there… perfectly yummy as they are! Or you can make them a little more decadent and melt some carob chips (or chocolate of your own choosing) and roll half the ball in the chocolate and sprinkle some sesame seeds on them.