I love KD…. or “mac & cheese” but let’s face it… it’s not really that healthy. But it was cheap. When my husband and I first got married, we practically lived off it. I’m surprised I still enjoyed it – though we’ve rarely had it over the years and certainly not in the last 2+ years!
Even being vegan, I’d still have mac & cheese made with a mixture of different vegan cheeses but I don’t always have several varieties in the fridge at the same time. But I always have the ingredients for this recipe in my pantry!
Now keep in mind, this recipe doesn’t taste like typical mac&cheese but it’s still a lovely recipe. Store bought cheese can be added to it if you wish. My husband felt it should have been more cheesy – but he’s also not vegan. I felt it was perfect – though I wish I had added the pepper flakes. Hubby doesn’t like spicy so I left it out.
HEALTHY VEGAN MAC &CHEESE
- 100 g potato peeled and chopped
- 50 g carrot peeled
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup unflavored plant based milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or use more plant-based milk instead)
- 1/4 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1/4 tbsp lemon juice or lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- crushed pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 oz Pasta of choice
Crumb topping Ingredients
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/4 cup panko crumbs
- 2 tbsp vegan parmesan
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Soak cashews overnight. If you forgot, or decided to make it last minute, soak in boiled water for at least 15 minutes until they are soft. Discard the water.
- Cut the potato and carrot into 1-inch cubes and cook in salted water for about 10-15 minutes or until tender and drain.
- Boil your favorite pasta as per the instructions on the packaging.
- Add all the vegan Mac and Cheese ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Drain the pasta and pour the sauce into the pot and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add drained pasta, pinch of crushed pepper flakes and mix thoroughly.
- You can serve it up and enjoy here without the topping, but it is really yummy with it!
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Using either individual ramekins or one baking dish, pour in the pasta mixture.
- For the topping, melt the butter and add the other ingredients, mix thoroughly.
- Pour it onto the pasta, press down a bit to keep it in place and put into the oven.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- It will be very hot, so allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving
Nutritional Information (excluding topping)