I am absolutely smitten with this recipe! I had a dish in the summer and loved it SO much I knew I had to figure out how to make it!
And, by golly, I think I got it!!!
Now, the way I’ve shown it served in the picture is a moot point as it’s the tofu that sold me on this dish! I’ve made this tofu and added it to stir fries, salads, and this coconut curry bowl.
Now, when I first started working with tofu, I made the mistake and didn’t really do anything with it – after all, it’s supposed to take on the flavor of what it’s cooked with, right? Not so much. I’ve had a couple successes, but more failures and I had pretty much given up on it. Until that fateful day in August.
I’ve gone through a few variations and tweaked until getting to this final recipe – and YUMMY!
I hope you enjoy as much as I do!
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 block tofu
- more corn starch
- 1-2 Tbsp oil
1) Press the tofu to remove excess liquid. This can be done simply by wrapping the tofu in some paper towels and placing between a couple frying pans and stacking a couple heavy books on top, replacing the paper towels after 5 minutes or so. I purchased a tofu press because I couldn’t remove enough liquid the other way. Less liquid = crispier tofu!
2) Cut the tofu into cubes and place in a sealable container with corn starch. put the lid on and shake to coat the tofu with cornstarch.
3) In a frying pan, heat the oil to a low/medium temperature and carefully add the tofu, removing any excess corn starch. Cook the tofu on all sides until they are all golden brown. Don’t be tempted to turn up the heat as it does take time, but if the heat is too high, it’ll burn.
4) While the tofu is browning, mix up the sauce and prepare the stir fry or dish you’re having the tofu.
5) When the tofu is browned, add the prepared sauce to the tofu in the warm pan and stir until coated and the sauce thickens.
6) Add the tofu to whatever dish you’re having and ENJOY!!!