Nothing beats an easy, filling, healthy meal… and this one was super easy and didn’t come from a jar!
Sure, grabbing a ready-made sauce from the grocery store is convenient, but it’s SO easy to make, why would you want to buy it? And it tastes SO much better than from a jar – and completely adjustable to your preferences.
See? Doesn’t it look scrumptious?
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 30-120 Minutes
- 2 – 796 ml cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/4 Cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/8 tsp chili flakes
- Salt & Pepper
1. Heat oil in pot. Add onion and garlic, cook until fragrant. Add green pepper and cook additional 5 minutes.
2. Add crushed tomatoes and dried spices – salt & pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low, allowing to simmer for as long as you need/want. The longer it simmers, the better it will taste as it gets infused with the flavors of the spices. Make sure you stir regularly to ensure it doesn’t burn on the bottom of the pot.
3. Add fresh basil in last 30 minutes. Serve over fresh cooked pasta with shaved parmesan cheese – or vegan cheese… or dairy cheese! Whatever floats your boat!
No……… I didn’t MAKE this pasta… I’ve been threatening to, as I have my moms old pasta maker, but I just haven’t felt that ambitious. BUT you can still get fresh pasta at the grocery store! Faster to cook, and way more filling!